Assistant Finance Manager
Sophia Housing, Cork Street, Dublin 8
Sophia is a national organisation that has been supporting people as they emerge from homelessness since 1997. Responding to an ever-growing need in Ireland, Sophia supported 1,034 people in 2019 which is an increase of 100% in the number of people supported since 2016.
Sophia is a niche service provider for two reasons; Firstly, it sees the provision of home of one’s own as the primary response to homelessness and the intervention that Sophia is exclusively focused on. Secondly as an Approved Housing Body, its core mission is to provide homes for individuals, couples and families who not only need a home but also present with other support needs.
Sophia recognises that homelessness can have a traumatic impact on people and that services need to be designed and delivered in a trauma informed way.
39 hrs per week
To assist the Finance Manager in planning, organising, managing and co-ordinating the efficient operation of the finance function of Sophia.
To supervise the financial accountant, accounts payable supervisor and part-time account assistants
- To contribute to the overall management of the Sophia organisation by being a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- To manage the supervision and development of the Finance Team.
- To oversee day to day financial activities and to co-ordinate the month-end and year end process.
- Production of monthly management accounts and related finance reports and oversee the work of the other team members in the month end process.
- To provide support and supervision to the Finance Team including review of training and development for all the team.
- Attendance at the finance sub-committee meetings and presentation of finance reports to the committee.
- To liaise with the external auditors and manage the annual external audit process of Sophia and Riverway Mews Management Company Limited.
- To represent Sophia as required in its dealings with relevant external funding agencies as assigned by the Finance Manager.
- To process payroll when required for example when the financial accountant is on annual leave.
- To produce the Annual Budgets for the organisation, holding budget meetings with various departments and responding to queries from budget holders.
- To prepare quarterly and annual financial returns as required by funders and other internal and external parties as required.
- To assist the Finance Manager in the preparation and compilation of financial information for Funder Service Level Agreements.
- To assist the Finance Manager with the management and administration of the financial aspects of Sophia DEASP Community Employment scheme.
- To assist the Finance Manager in achieving financial best practice and undertaking periodic internal reviews of financial procedures and making recommendations.
- To assist the Finance Manager with the implementation of the organisation’s IT policy.
- To assist with specific projects such as the review and implementation of new IT and accounting systems as required.
- To undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required.
Person Specification -Essential
- A professional accountancy qualification or part qualification and have a minimum of 3 years’ experience working at a senior accounting level within a not for profit or commercial organisation.
- Detailed knowledge and use of computerised accounting systems.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with computerised banking and payroll systems (Sage Payroll).
- A high level of ICT literacy including a proven ability to apply technology in the workplace.
- Good understanding of the financial requirements of State funders.
- Self-starter capable of working on his/her own initiative, with strong multitasking capability and flexible and results focused.
- Good planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks effectively in a dynamic and pressurised environment.
- Ability to lead and to manage staff effectively.
- Proven track record as a team player with a flexible approach.
- Strong communication skills.
- Good problem solving, analytical and decision-making skills.
- Experience of interacting with major external stakeholders i.e. with State Funders and Regulators.
- Experience of presenting reports to internal and external stakeholders.
Person Specification – Desirable
- Project management experience in the development and implementation of financial management systems.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Financial Reporting/governance of the charity/ a not-for-profit sector.
- Experience with engaging at Board level and presenting financial information to Board Sub-Committees as required.
Please forward a Cover Letter and CV to Recruitment@sophia.ie
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday, April 30th 2021