Job title: Job Description – Development Officer
Location: Central Hotel Chambers, Dame Court, Dublin 2
Responsible/Reporting to: Development Manager
Job purpose: To identify and deliver new housing business for HAIL supporting the Development Teams objectives
Salary Scale: €42k to €52k (entry level dependent on experience)
Job Information: This post is a permanent full-time post.35 hours per week – 9.00 – 5.00 Monday – Friday.
HAIL is an Approved Housing Body with over 470 properties mainly in the Greater Dublin area.
HAIL’s purpose is to provide the key to independent living by providing housing and support services to those experiencing significant and enduring mental health difficulties, enabling them to live independently and fully integrated into their communities.
Our Vision is to drive excellence in mental health housing support and be the partner of choice for delivering integrated independent living in communities across Ireland.
- Trust: Our relationships are built on trust. We work closely with our stakeholders, clients and tenants to achieve the best possible outcomes.
- Respect: We work towards creating an equitable society where all are treated with respect and dignity. We listen with open hearts and open minds as we believe everyone’s voice has a right to be heard and respected.
- Leadership: We are leaders in delivering our vision and purpose, courageously and responsibly providing homes and supporting those living with mental health challenges.
Job Purpose Summary
The Development Officer will assist the Development Manager in the delivery of HAIL’s Development and Growth Plan. The role will assist in identifying and delivery of new housing business for HAIL, from inception to completion, inclusive of the administrative function required for new housing delivery for HAIL.
The primary function of the role will be sourcing new units via acquisitions of turnkey properties, refurbishment of properties and partnerships on property developments with developers, estate agents, other AHBs and LAs. You will play a key role in the development team on delivery of identified projects within the existing programme and all future projects.
Key Role Responsibilities
- Assist in identifying and securing new housing development opportunities in line with HAIL’s Development and Growth Plan
- Liaise with developers, estate agents, other AHBs and Local Authorities to identify and progress existing and potential new business opportunities
- Negotiate with relevant parties on delivery, in consultation with the Development Manager
- Liaise with internal HAIL support services and housing management teams on housing need & requirements
- Positively raise the profile of HAIL through development work activity, industry networking and positive collaboration.
- Contribute and assist in the drafting and updating of development PR documents and activity to promote expanded partner relationship development
Management of Development Projects
With the support of the Development Manager:
- Manage development projects from inception to completion, including turnkey projects, off the shelf acquisition, refurbishment and new builds
- Manage key scheme deliverables with relevant approvals including funding application submissions [CALF/CAS/HFA/Etc.], liaising with solicitor etc and ensuring that all project milestones are met
- Collate information for feasibility studies, risk assessments, project appraisals incorporating detailed financial modelling in consultation with HAIL Finance Team
- Organise valuations, surveys, VFM reports, etc as required to progress development opportunities
- Assist HAIL Finance Team in the preparation of funding applications for submission to the relevant agencies to progress development opportunities
- Provide development project reports as instructed for required Board and Committee approval processes
- Work with HAIL’s solicitors as required on all property acquisitions
- Report to Development Manager on development scheme progress, highlighting any potential issues with delivery or key milestones
- Co-ordinate scheme completions and handovers to HAIL Housing Management and Support Services teams
- Coordinate and engage in community consultation as required
- Ensure compliance with current & new legislation and policy
Organisation and Administration
- Contribute to HAIL new business planning and delivery
- Actively assisting HAIL delivery on the aims and objectives of the organisation
- Complete required administration support for development delivery
- Ensure development audit information/filing is stored and kept up to date
- Assist in the drafting of relevant development policies and procedures
- Attend sector meetings, working groups, forums etc; representing HAIL as required
- Implementing HAIL’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures, ensuring that all practices and procedures are undertaken in accordance with ensuring a healthy and safe working environment
- Assist in work with HAIL Finance Team on annual development budgets
- Ensure value for money in all aspects of development service delivery
Key requirements for the position of Development officer are:
- Experience of working in the Housing / AHB sector or in a property development environment: Essential
- Awareness of current housing policy, social issues and key issues affecting the Approved Housing Body sector in the delivery of new housing units: Essential
- Experience of delivering projects on time and within budget: Essential
- Strong administration / project management skills, including tracking, documenting & recording process management: Essential
- Ability to work alone, as part of a team and on own initiative: Essential
- Demonstrate a wide-ranging network of industry and sector contacts: Desirable
- Relevant qualification in Property related area: Desirable
- Project Management training/qualification: Desirable
People and Stakeholders Skills / Knowledge
- Demonstrable experience of building and managing relationships with diverse stakeholders: Essential
- Strong networking skills: Essential
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines: Essential
- Excellent communication skills:Essential
- Excellent property/real estate transaction negotiation skills:Desirable
Operational Skills / Knowledge
- Demonstrable knowledge of procurement operations: Essential
- Knowledge of the social housing and not-for-profit sector:Desirable
- Excellent planning and organisational skills:Essential
- Experience of report writing:Essential
- Experience / knowledge of Funding Application Processes:Desirable
- Computer literacy/use of IT systems: Essential
- Full valid driving licence:Essential
The salary will be commensurate with the experience of the individual appointed and in line with the Organisation’s salary scale.
- Flexible working hours
- 24 annual leave days plus 3 Company days
- Company Pension Scheme with current contributions rates of 6% employer contribution and 6% employee contribution
- Death in Service Benefit
- Health insurance for serious illness
- Training and development
- Paid expenses
Culture at HAIL
Our culture and staff have been integral to our delivery and growth over recent years, and this is an area we want to build on under our new strategic plan. As part of our overall Strategic Review in 2023, we began with commissioning Campbell Tickell to conduct a CultureScan of our workplace culture. The results of the feedback were very positive:
Please send a cover letter and a detailed CV, referencing HAIL: DO2024, outlining your experience skills and suitability for the position for the attention of Claire Organ, Development Manager at email@example.com .
For queries relating to the role please contact Claire Organ at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01 6718444 in confidence – Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm, 29th February 2024.
HAIL is an Equal Opportunities Employer