Job title: Job Description – Development Manager
Location :Central Hotel Chambers, Dame Court, Dublin 2.
Responsible/Reporting to: CEO
Job purpose: Working as part of the Extended Management Team responsible for identifying and delivering new housing business for HAIL
Salary Scale: €56,375 – €70,404
Job Information: This post is a permanent full-time post.
35 hours per week – 9.00 – 5.00 Monday to Friday.
HAIL is an Approved Housing Body with over 430 properties in the Greater Dublin area
HAIL’s mission is to provide housing and individually tailored support services to support tenants and clients, primarily those with mental health difficulties, to integrate and live independent lives in the community.
HAIL’s vision is to be the provider of choice for housing and support for people with mental health difficulties, enabling them to achieve and sustain independent living in the community by having secure, quality, affordable accommodation with appropriate support services tailored to their needs.
Job Purpose Summary
The Development Manager will be primarily responsible for the sourcing and delivering new housing development opportunities for HAIL. The primary source of new units will be via acquisitions of turnkey properties, the acquisition and refurbishment of properties and partnerships on new developments with other AHBs and LAs. You will have responsibility for the management and full delivery of identified projects within the existing programme and all future projects.
Reporting to the CEO, the Development Manager will form part of HAIL’s Extended Management Team. They will be responsible for keeping the Leadership Team up to date on all housing development related matters.
Key Role and responsibilities
1. New Business
- Identifying and securing new housing development opportunities in line with HAIL’s Development and Growth Plan
- Liaising with developers, estate agents, other AHBs and Local Authorities regarding potential opportunities
- Negotiating with relevant parties in consultation with the CEO
- Liaising with the support services section with regard to assessing demand and requirements for supported housing
- Raising the profile of HAIL with assistance from the Communications Manager
- Assisting in the drafting and updating of PR documentation including leaflets, adverts, videos
2. Management of Development Projects
- Managing development projects including acquisition of turnkey projects and off the shelf acquisition of existing units, including refurbishments. This may include overseeing the design team in the delivery of design and build projects if appropriate development opportunities arise.
- Managing key scheme deliverables with relevant approvals from CEO i.e. contract signing, CALF/CAS/HFA submissions ensuring as far as practicable that all project milestones are met
- Collating information for feasibility studies, risk assessments, project appraisals incorporating detailed financial modelling in consultation with the Head of Finance
- Organising valuations and surveys as needed
- Assisting the Head of Finance in the preparation of funding bids for the Housing Finance Agency (HFA), Banking Institutions and the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage (DHLGH)
- Providing detailed project reports for Board and Committee approval
- Working with HAIL’s solicitors on the delivery of schemes
- Scheduling and attending pre & post contract meetings with all stakeholders as required
- Providing the CEO with regular updates on progress and highlighting any potential issues with delivery or key milestones
- Co-ordinating scheme completions and handovers including liaising with Housing Services and Support Services
- Coordinating and engaging in community consultation exercises as required
- Overall responsibility and performance management of contractors delivering projects
- Ensuring compliance with legal requirements, including staying informed on all relevant legislation and drafting policy which enables compliance with new legislation and policy
3. Organisational and Managerial
- Contribute to the business planning and strategic planning process
- Actively contribute in assisting HAIL deliver on the aims and objectives of the organisation
- Oversee the management and support of the Development Officer
- Leading on the drafting of relevant development policies and procedures
- Attendance at sector meetings, working groups, forums etc; representing HAIL
- Implementing HAIL’s Health & Safety Policy and Procedures, ensuring that all practices and procedures are undertaken in accordance with ensuring a healthy and safe working environment
- Liaising with the finance team on annual budget management/budget setting
- Ensuring value for money in the development service
- Ensuring audit information/filing is stored and kept up to date for each scheme
Key requirements for the position of Development Manager are:
Technical Skills / Knowledge
Relevant experience and proven track record of working in a property environment :Essential
Demonstrate a wide-ranging network of industry and sector contacts: Essential
Have a working knowledge of the business operating environment and key issues affecting the Approved Housing Body sector, including the funding schemes available as well as general guidance on the delivery of sustainable communities, housing strategy/policy and national procurement guidelines including the operating principles of the Capital Works Management Framework (CWMF): Desirable
Proven experience of delivering projects on time and within budget: Essential
Relevant qualification in Property related area: Desirable
Project Management training/qualification: Desirable
Member of the Society of Chartered Surveyors: Desirable
People and Stakeholders Skills / Knowledge
Demonstrable experience of building and managing relationships with a diverse stakeholder: Essential
Strong Networking Skills: Essential
Excellent property/real estate transaction negotiation skills: Essential
Excellent communication skills: Essential
People Management experience – leading, motivating and developing staff: Desirable
The ability to work under pressure and to meet strict deadlines: Essential
Operational Skills / Knowledge
Demonstrable knowledge of procurement regulations: Essential
Knowledge of the social housing and not-for-profit sector: Desirable
Excellent planning and organisational skills: Essential
Proven experience of report writing, including a high level of numeracy: Essential
Ability to interpret technical drawings: Essential
Computer literacy / use of IT systems: Essential
Full valid driving licence: Essential
The salary will be commensurate with the experience of the individual appointed and in line with the Organisation’s salary scale.
- Flexible working hours
- 24 annual leave days plus 3 Company days
- Company Pension Scheme with current contributions rates of 6% employer contribution and 6% employee contribution
- Death in Service Benefit
- Health insurance for serious illness
- Training and development
- Paid expenses
Please send a cover letter and a detailed CV, referencing HAIL:DM2022, outlining your experience skills and suitability for the position for the attention of Martina Smith, CEO at email@example.com .
For queries relating to the role please contact Martina Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01 6718444 in confidence – Closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm, Tuesday 20th December 2022. It is anticipated that interviews will be held 5th & 6th of January 2023.
HAIL is an Equal Opportunities Employer