Carriagbrae House is a protected structure originally built in 1816 as a two story home but later used as a bathing lodge and then converted in the 1950’s to a school. It has been respectfully restored and converted into four individual units of housing, one two bedroom apartment and three one bedroom apartments. While the house has been fully renovated to comply with building regulation standards it still manages to maintain elements of its original Georgian and Victorian character. The house is aesthetically pleasing but also meets the needs of the tenants practically in terms of accessibility and affordability with a high standard of accommodation.
The building contains only four units two on each floor giving tenants the opportunity to have the privacy of their own internal front doors but creating a sense of community with shared main door to building, shared outdoor garden space, and communal parking.
The mix of private and social housing within the greater development of The Friary enhances the sense of community and inclusion, with only fifteen houses, the addition of four extra dwellings in Carraigbrae House with five tenants compliments the surrounding community without being overbearing.
The well maintained communal gardens are a visual addition for those living in the greater community of The Friary development.