Ellis Court, an early social housing project from the 1880s, has been restored to its original purpose, providing 22 homes in Dublin City Centre. Designed in 1885 by Daniel J. Freeman for Dublin Corporation, the building served as social housing until 2005 when fire damage forced its evacuation. A collaborative effort between Tuath Housing, Dublin City Council, and the Department of Housing has revitalised Ellis Court.
The restoration carefully preserves the building’s historical character while converting it into modern residential accommodation where 47 people from Dublin City Council’s housing waiting list now call home. The refurbishment of the building is a show case for the benefits of retrofitting; preserving the historical interest of the building, promoting sustainable development through use of existing materials and reducing carbon footprint compared to demolishing and rebuilding.
Funding for this A-rated, energy-efficient development, came from the Department of Housing, Local Government, and Heritage, through a Public Works Contract.